ATM, the Authority of Metropolitan Transport, is the public entity that manages and coordinates all planning instruments in the Metropolitan Region of Barcelona. The ATM is a consortium formed by the Catalan Government, AMB (Authority of Metropolitan Barcelona), Barcelona City Council and the AMTU (Association of Municipalities for Urban Transport). ATM realises the PDM – Mobility Master Plan and has obtained preliminary approval for the plan covering 2020-2025. Within the PDM framework, ATM has set up a “Freight Partnership” – the TSL – that brings together actors in the logistics sector. Also, within this plan, it has established an action to improve the interchange between mobility modes at 102 stations.
Ferrocarrils de la Generalitat de Catalunya or FGC, is a railway company which manages the rail infrastructure and operates services that include some of the metro and commuter lines in and around Barcelona. ATM’s interchange improvement plan includes 28 stations managed by FGC.
Rail stations within the Barcelona metropolis will be assessed to identify the extent to which cargo bike and/or locker solutions being piloted in the GREEN-LOG Living Labs can be readily taken up by other towns within the framework of the Metropolitan Transport Plan.
GREEN-LOG aims to bridge the existing gap by:
- Implementing measures based on needs and objectives of different stakeholders. A business model that adapts existing cargo bike operations to handle the online local commerce deliveries will be trialled and assessed.
- The pilot will seek to combine cargo bike deliveries with complementary use of e-van sharing for larger / heavier parcels.
- Opportunities to optimise service take-up based on ICT technologies – facilitating micro-incentives, for example – will also be trialled.
The following outputs are envisaged to be achieved:
- The quantitative and qualitative assessment of the impact of the enhanced cargo bike services will be performed.
- A roadmap for future sustainable logistics actions will be planned.